Wednesday, March 17, 2010

Yeah, I go to school

But you won't be hearing much more about it. Not really the highlight of the trip, despite it being the reason for my being here. I'm taking all classes in english unfortunately, I'd have to be a lot more advanced in my spanish to be taking classes in it. I am, however, in the intermediate spanish class which is funny becasue I most definitely tested into beginner. I did some begging to be put in this level which I definitely don't belong so as to push myself to learn faster. Funny how that works...I'm definitely struggling but it is the only class I really enjoy. Plus, the teacher is awesome. So heres the schedule for those of you who are interested:

(M) Lunes - 10.00-12.00 Political and Social Change in Latin America
13.00-15.00 History of Latin America
(T) Martes - 15.00-17.00 Español Intermedio
(w) Meircoles - NO CLASS :)
(Th) Jueves - 13.00-15.00 Argentina: The Making of a Country through its Literature
15.00-17.00 Español Intermedio
(F) Viernes - NO CLASS :)

So all in all, not a hard week at all. The history classes are interesting, the literature should be OK and I'm actually learning in Spanish. I take the subte when I kinda feel like walking (or am out of centavos - change) I take the bus when I'm lazy, have change, and the weather is bad. And I walk when I'm feeling adventurous or am out of money. Not that it saves a lot of money as both the subte and bus are less than 50cents each way...but it feels healthier :)

The school is in a really nice neighborhood and it's fun to say I go to La Universidad de Belgrano. It has a lot of stairs and the glass elevators are always packed. The cafeteria is OK priced and their blended coffee is pretty awesome, despite it being instant coffee powder. You see international students everywhere, espescially on the 9th floor, where classes are held. It is not a campus, just one of many university buildings throughout that part of the city but there are two eating areas, some shops in the basement, auditoriums, ATM's and a bookstore/copy store/computer lab. I actually go to two different buildings for classes, but they're only a street or two apart. Everything is very modern and pretty much resembles a nice school in the states. I'm pretty sure it's one of the nicer schools in Argentina though. Definitely a step up from white hall!

No comments: