Thursday, March 4, 2010

A little bit of Boca

Still catching up: Arriving in Argentina was made a lot more comfortable by the fact that they flew me Business class! That alone is worth telling about, and being a poor college student, I was not about to hide my excitement. I spent the entire 12 hour flight playing with the buttons that turned my overstuffed huge chair into a bed and a recliner and back to a bed again...playing with my personal television, and wiping my hands with hot lemony towels. They gave us warm nuts and orange juice, and a 3 course meal (I had some incredible steak and shrimp for my main course). And yes, it's true they offer you champagne and wine constantly. The merlot wasn't too bad ;) I got to know the man next to me and was completely humbled by his story. He had been on my previous flight to Santiago and was now on his way to find his family whom he had not heard anything from. They live in Concepcion, the epicenter of where Chile's devestating 8.8 earthquake hit. We talked all night about his options, about the uncertanties, about how hard it is to believe things like this can happen to people like us. We talked about the culture, and some lighter things: latin american nightlife, the best completo combinations, and how good our first class meals were. I have never met someone going through something even close to what this man was and it truly was a blessing. I am awaiting a response to how he is doing and if he has found his family and encourage everyone to look into what they may be able to do for Chile.

Customs was easy this time around, I was incredibly nervous but I just had to hand over the money, sign a couple of things, hug my new friend goodbye, and go through immigrations -- they didn't even check my bags! I was picked up by Pamela, a CEA staff who has made things SO much easier. I met my room mates, and we went on a city tour. Everythings kindof a blur, but the tour was amazing. I will not tell too much bcasue everything we saw I will be going to again and seeing/telling about in more deatail!

No comments: