Tuesday, March 16, 2010

Another great food adventure

I would like to describe to you a small miracle, a little chance happening I had last week. I was walking back from our excursion to Tigre with Joe. Joe and I share a lot more in common than being in the same CEA program...most notably that we eat and wander and stay up all night…and do so often. So we were walking discussing possible cheap options – the usual options came up: Small sandwiches on the corner, empanadas down the street. Both are great places with better prices but you can only eat so many tomato sandwiches and meat-filled pastry.

And then it happened. Walking down Thames, the street we had been walking since classes began and have been familiar with, something new stuck out. We were almost past it, but my stomach reached my brain in time to read a small chalk board and better yet to notice the price: 6$. I stopped excitedly, did the quick math (less than 2 bucks!) and told Joe we had to try out this place we had never noticed. I saw the word Choripan and remembered someone telling me to try it in South America. So we ordered two.

On top of the thrill of finding a potential new eatery close to home, I happened to see an “old friend” sitting close by. AKA – a Norwegian guy I met at a pub crawl that plays professional poker and was headed to Vegas the next day. It was a funny coincidence and we had just about the same conversation as when we met but all was well because he definitely has a crazy and intriguing life to talk about.

Back to the mysterious choripan. The restraint, if you can call it that is very humble to say the least. The fact that I did not notice a cheap place to eat in my many walks down the same street speaks to this fact. It’s basically about 5 small tables, a 3 stool bar and a huge grill with all kinds of meat that you order from. The choripan turned out to be a spicy, delicious, charred-yet-still-juicy and full of spice sausage. They split it down the center, put it on a toasted French bread hoagie roll, added tomato, lettuce, and (the best part!) an awesome homemade chimichurri sauce on one side with another oniony salsa on the other. They served it to me still piping hot and wrapped in paper. As I peeled it back and took the first juicy bite, I immediately considered myself a regular. This event was going to be happening again, and frequently.

No comments: