Saturday, March 6, 2010

Salsa: like the food, love the dance


So after a series of events yesterday with a new friend (including visiting nearly every hospital in the city), we ended up having a pretty great night. She is fluent, so was able to hook me up with a pay-per-go phone which looks like it's going to be pretty useful even if only giving me more sense of security. We ended up meeting with two of her friends who took us to this really nice place in Belgrano called Milion. Gorgeous courtyard with vines and nice tables, music, but an overall nicer chill feeling about the place. It's been really hot, so the nights are amazing. Mostly hung out there, ordered some delicious fruity drinks and talked. Well, they talked, and I picked out a few words every other sentence.

For someone who likes talking as much as I do, I think learning Spanish will be much easier if I run into more situations like I did last night. Just hearing it, being around it and not being afraid to pop out a couple of heavily accented words on my part is what it's all about.

Anyways, it was around 1:30am or later by the time we headed to Azucar - the Latin American night club in town. In case it's news to you, people here rarely go out before 1am here, and many times later than that. They joke that BA runs 25 hours a day, and it's so true: this city NEVER sleeps. Vanessa, the girl I was with knew someone at the club so we got by the first bouncer easily without paying but the second one ended up making us pay.

I'll go ahead and apologize right now, because beyond that I can’t really describe it. It was loud and hot and VERY Latin American. The quick version is that it looked like it does in the movies. There were great dancers, couples spinning and throwing their hips, a bachelorette party and younger girls just getting into it. It is very possible that I was the only American in the place, and I'm just hoping it wasn't embarrassingly noticeable based on my dancing. With some lessons though, I'll definitely be back! I am so happy I am meeting people who are into the culture of this place and not just wanting to go clubbing to go out. My first huge step out of my comfort zone since I've been here, but so worth it! Got home around 5am – I might be built for a 25 hr a day lifestyle after all.


No comments: