Wednesday, March 17, 2010

Leather factory and the re-discovery of my favorite bakery!


Todays excursion turned out to be a bit more personalized than usual. The rainy weather and classes ended up keeping everyone but myself and another girl from coming to the leather factory. I mostly decided to go becasue I didn't have classes, had nothing better to do, and have heard about how amazing argentine leather is! (5th largest producer in the world I believe with rare leathers from animals like antelope and capybara) I was able to experience yet another bus and another part of the city...this time we ventured out of the city proper into one of the surrounding neighborhoods.

So in case you didn't know, the smaller the animal, the more expensive the leather. Just thought I'd pass on that tid bit I learned today. Makes sense. The whole trip lasted about 3 hours and I came out of it with a very cute keychain, small leather makeup bag and a thick leather belt for under 25USD...so not bad!

It was looking dreary early on but began to drizzle on the way home (my CEA friend and I figured out the right bus stop and I made it to the residencia on my own!) but on the way home I passed a very familiar a very upscal looking bakery. Then it hit me. I had been there before!

I ran in, asked for a sampling of the tiny bit-size dulces and started my selection. By the time the woman had described to me each of the miniature sweets, I was dying to try them all. I came away with this mouth watering selection: two teensy lemon merengue pies (shortbread with raspberry jam, lemon curd and merengue).. a little napoleon with dark and white chocolate on top, pastry, and dulce de leche.. an even smaller glazed cream puff filled with dulce de leche (the country is literally obsessed with this caramelly-goodness).. a walnut brownie topped with chocolate mousse and baked whipped cream..and then the king of all little sweets that I have no way to describe. She kept saying the word for drunk "borracho" and "que rico" so I figured I had to try it. She was right. Incredible and impossible to describe...like a caramelized, squishy pound cake topped with fudge is as close as I can get.

The leather factory was great....but I cannot wait to get back for some more of those little drunken sweets. Whatever they were. And for under $2USD for the whole lot, I will be going back soon.

No comments: