Tuesday, March 9, 2010

Midnight snacks and the conquering of the subte

Helado; Spanish for heaven on earth, melt in your mouth goodness, and everything nice. AKA - ice cream. Now, I've had some amazing ice cream, and I am not saying that this is the best ice cream I have ever had the pleasure of tasting, but setting, temperature, and cravings can do a lot to a simple cone of this stuff. One of my residencia friends (and photo buddy!) headed to the corner to grab a cone and I am almost regretting the decision. I had chocolate with rocher pieces and dulce de leche with brownies. Enough said, right? So I just wanted to prepare you for more posts on this stuff seeing as how it is located dangerously close.

On a completely different note - I conquered the Subte on my own today. Well, almost. Now, a lot of the people here are from big cites and know a lot about public transportation. I am clueless. In my frustration, I will sometimes blurt out comments like, "where I'm from, they still have tractor days!" A little absurd I know, even if it is true...but it gets the point across. Anyways, I made it to the Subte. First success, seeing as how it's not a completely straight line (it almost is but there's one corner that if you know me, you know could throw me off completely). Then I got on the right one. There are only two, but hey that’s a 50/50 gamble I won, right? I did manage to go out of the wrong exit, but upon doing a very confused 360 turn, I found my landmarks - the magazine guy and Milka. From there, I made the right turns, the three sum block walk to another turn and arrived on the steps of Universidad de Belgrano. Huge relief. Within the next hour I had registered for classes (looks like I will have Monday classes, but no Wednesdays so I'm not complaining!) made copies (this took some skillful broken Spanish and a lot of pointing) and had attained my student ID. Perfecto. Now, becasue I'm not huge on dwelling on failures, if you can call it that - I prefer "experiences" - I will just tell you that the way back home didn't go quite so smoothly. I might have tried walking home, and I might have walked for an hour only to give up and take the subte one stop. I might also have realized that I had in fact been incredibly close to being home when I gave up. I might have done all of that. This is a learning experience right? I think so too, but try telling that to my feet.

No comments: