Monday, March 8, 2010

Executive Decision: waking up to crepes and kiwi is more important than attending class

So, this might sound bad...but hear me out. I woke up early this morning, around 7:30 with roaring hunger pains. (the massive pollo empanada and two olive sandwiches must not have been a big enough late night snack) I woke up, got dressed and headed over to an empty dining room minus one of the cooks. I almost died when I saw the kiwi plate - it feels like all I have eaten since I've been here is empanadas and little sandwiches. So I indulged. I probably ate 5 or 6 kiwi and had 4 crepes (they're actually a little thick to be crepes, but you know) They had this awesome sugary spread, maybe a type of mild honey and really good fruity jam. I then realized I had 3 hours until my first "class."

Here's where the hard decision making came in. I am not technically registered for classes, and I don't have my card to swipe for attendance. The classes I had today are also offered on Wednesdays. I barely got any sleep the night before, and it was finally cool in my room, plus I had a full stomach. So, I decided when I went to my advising appointment this afternoon, I was going to take the wed. classes. Decision made. I fell asleep until 1pm, went to lunch and one of the guys and I headed to the subte to get to school. I might know my way now, mildly, and am almost ready to just wander pretty soon.

But, the whole system is crazy so I have another appointment tomorrow at 10am. Quick cultural note though: people here do not like appointments. The woman I spoke to could not understand for the life of her why I would want to hold myself accountable to a certain time. Anyways, it was a good transition day...mostly play, some work. Maybe tomorrow I'll be more prepared to get into the swing of things. For now, I'm still enjoying the fact that most of my days are spent walking around this beautiful city, eating, and sleeping. I'm also enjoying the fact that my spur of the moment decision to sleep instead of go on with the day has scored me a tuesday, wednesday, thursday class schedule. So things are working out!

And just because I mostly slept and ate today does not mean I did not learn, here are a couple of the things I picked up:
· There is a place to take polo lessons for cheap close-by (around 25USD/day)
· The hombre from the sandwich shop nearby now knows me well enough to say "hola" when he sees me out
· Fresh squeezed orange juice is one of the best things in the world to wake up to
· Subte is not the only means of transportation: Bus 55 may be my new amigo..walking works too
· My on-the-side spanish teacher (one of the maid's daughters)really likes having her picture taken..and grapes
I'm sure I learned a lot more than that, but that's all I have for now. BA is becoming less overwhelming every day...as Nahuel said to me today:
"The city is alive, it has a rhythm...to not get lost in it you have to learn that you don't have to become that rhythm.. you can find the quiet in the rush hour."

No comments: