Tuesday, March 16, 2010

Tigre and fresh squeezed fruit juice

Went to Tigre on an excursion with CEA this past Saturday. We took the train about 40 minutes which was a lot more comfortable on the way back when we were able to actually sit down. We took a boat tour around the delta and it felt amazing to be around water and be out of the city for a bit. The history and culture of the place is very cool, definitely worth google-ing ;) Many houses were on stilts and each family or residence had their own dock. There are no roads - only canals, docks, and a type of water taxi. I imagined myself living there for about 15 minutes but then decided the brown water would get old and as cool as it would be to jet ski and kayak everywhere, I like the feeling of solid ground a lot too. A very cool insight into one of these floating communities. Afterwards we headed to the market which was a little more touristy than the others I've been to but still good nonetheless. I bought a couple pairs of earrings from a brazillian shop that I love and a dress/shirt I've been wearing (needed warmer weather clothes!). Best purchase of this trip so far also happened in Tigre: fresh squeezed fruit juice. I ordered pineapple and mango and just about died of happiness as I watched them scoop chunks of the juicy frsh fruit into a blender with sugar and some ice. They then strained it out and filled a huge cup with it, and even better - they served me the cup and the bowl to refill the cup with what was left over. All I could think about was how at home with my star bucks or smoothies, they would throw the remainder out and how it has always frustrated me. Here in Argentina, success finally. Anyways, the stuff was incredible. I am craving fresh fruit more than ever, and this drink hit the spot. Good hot day on the delta, some fun shopping, and heavenly juice to top it off. It was a good day.

No comments: