Monday, May 31, 2010

A letter

Dear Yvette,
I know we have lived, loved, laughed, and talked enough so that you know how much I love and miss you. I don’t know if you know how much I think about you and how many stories I have saved for you, knowing you are the only person in the world who will listen, and care, long enough to some of them. I went to Iguazu, some of the biggest waterfalls in the world, and I swear my camera was fixed on all the colorful butterflies more than the waterfalls because I knew you would like them, especially the purple one. Was thinking of a butterfly scrapped card set, maybe. I wore my hair in a big braid the other day, thinking of you, but was bummed that I still can’t french braid like you! And of course, every time I see freckles, or purple. But that’s a given. Then there are the German Shepherds – everyone here is in love with dogs. I was in a bookstore today in an old renovated theatre, and was looking in the poetry section at Pablo Neruda. I don’t know if you’ve heard of him, but his work is beautiful in both Spanish and English - the translations are incredible. But it didn’t have any illustrations, like Hailstones and Halibut bones. In Patagonia, there was a cute tea shop that I made a mental note to tell you about…the entire ceiling was huge bushels of dried flowers, huge blue, red, purple clouds of them and these wooden fairies everywhere. There is so much I wish I could tell you in person now, and better yet, have you here with me. I feel like our sense of adventure is so much alike, but I need someone more free spirited to tell stories with and make the most of it. Heck, I even think of you when I google Montana and try to justify picking up and living in a cabin in the mountains for the rest of my life – just because I know you’d be there to give me a few more reasons. The ferrias here are like giant crafts markets, and are open every weekend. I was very seriously contemplating the market for your knitted scarves and homemade cards. I hate not being able to visit more, and to visit sooner. But what makes it feel a little better is realizing just how much you are with me wherever I go. I have always looked up to you, and part of the fun of the adventure is in knowing you would be right here cheering it along. I have a feeling you know just how much I adore and respect you but just in case it hasn’t actually been said straight out, here it is: You are the strongest person I have ever met. The bravest woman I know. One of the smartest, most selfless, most loving, and best spirited people I know or think I will ever know. You stand up for what you believe and by holding people to higher standards make them be better people themselves. You are so beautiful inside and out, you glow. You are my hero.
I love you so much,
Chelsey

So do not fear, for I am with you; do not be dismayed, for I am your God. I will strengthen you and help you; I will uphold you with my righteous right hand.Isaiah 41:10

No comments: