Sunday, August 1, 2010

Another reason to love summer

So, I did some experimenting tonight and had some pretty sweet results...literally. And literally the EASIEST dessert I think I've made.

So, if you have peaches or - as in my case - berries laying around and this looks like something you might like, I say give it a try. Here's the recipe I came up with after some slight modifications to others:

Summer Berry Tart crust:
- 1 1/4 cup all purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon salt ( I just thew a couple pinches in)
- 1 tablespoon granulated sugar
- 1 stick of butter

So, basically, you just chop up the butter into small-ish cubes and dump everything into a food processor (I'm sure a blender would work as well)....and pop the whole thing in the freezer while you make the berry mixture/filling

Filling: 1-2 cups of berries, or sliced peaches, or a combo. In my case, I combined a bowl full of raspberries, blackberries, and blueberries with enough flour to coat (about 2 tablespoons) and 1/4 cup sugar. Then, if you have one - zest a lemon, an orange would work well too.

So by now, your pastry stuff is pretty chilly. Take it out of the freezer, and get ready to blend - but be careful not to over mix - should never be blended for more than 15 seconds. Start pulsing, just seconds at a time until it looks like coarse meal - then slowlyyyy add ice COLD water (use 1/8-1/4 cup) until dough just begins to stick together when pinched. Form into a ball, and pop into fridge for 1 hour.

I did this before dinner so all I had to do after was form the dough into a greased tart pan - but pressing it into a cake pan and building up the sides a bit would work if you don't have one - and baked it at 400 degrees F for 25 min. until golden brown and berries are bubbly.

Serve with vanilla ice cream, and you cant go wrong.

No comments: