Monday, July 26, 2010

Back to the grind

So I thought that coming home and finding a job would be one of the biggest wake up calls - turns out it is nothing compared to the ugly monster of boredom. Tomorrow, I will have been home for a month had I not already fit a week of travel to Mexico in. But the remaining 19-odd days of not working and being home are what I blame for any "reverse culture shock," the disappointment of not still being in South America, and the near "homesickness" to a place I only lived for 4 months. Now, don't get me wrong - I still miss it. But I needed a solution to those bouts of sadness that would arise when I had nothing better to do in my day but reminisce. The last thing I expected to keep me interested was a job.

But it looks like I've found my solution. Maybe it's just beginners optimism, seeing as how it was my first day, new place, different people. But nonetheless, it has some big potential. I am working at a certain bakery which happens to be in the cake and cupcake business. It stays busy, the employees are nice enough, and the customers are happy. There's even a cuban who works there that I was able to chat with a bit. And best of all - it's a bakery. This will be bakery number 3 for me, and I haven't lost my love for food - and sweet food at that - yet.

So, long story short, I'm getting back into things here. It definitely lacks the excitement of a huge city; the ease of public transportation, the laden down dog walkers, non-stop traffic, and eclectic people. But for now it fits the bill. I have a good job, I've still got a bit of summer left to enjoy, and I'm hanging out with my friends and family. I'm saving up for more travel, and soon enough - hopefully within the year - I'll be back on track for some longer-term travel. But I'm starting to understand the importance of consistency, and having a place to come back to no matter where you've been. But I guess the better question I should be asking myself is simply,

What's next?

No comments: