Tuesday, April 13, 2010

The Pressure!

So, if you know me -- a few things probobally pop into your head. Rediculously disorganized, loves food and animals maybe more than the regular bear, and in the best possible way - not totally there sometimes. I daydream alot, I procrastinate, and I make lots of little lists to make myself feel organized in the chaos. I'm a nester, leaving little piles of necesities in obscure places, becasue I will obviously look for my travel size toothbrush and yoga information in the back pocket of my camera case when I need them most.

Call them quirks, oddities, personality, or problems....it doesn't make a difference. But the reason I have decided to go on about this is because life abroad has only intensified these (we'll call them quirks)..quirks. A good example:

I have tried keeping a rough budget here and there...so when 200 pesos went mysteriously missing, I was a little concerned. After a thorough cleaning of the room, I decided to go a bit deeper. The following is a good reason to not read too many travel blogs and "travel tips" before your first big experience - I ended up finding almost all of the 200 pesos (and some centavos) in what were supposed to be inteligent and thief-proof places. AKA: the soles of my shoes, inside a bra, in various interior pockets of clothing, and even a few in my bed. It doesn't help that the money here is tissue thin, and seems to disolve in your pockets. I have no explanation for my logic and am equally amused and embarrassed when I find my money in these places but at least for now, it loos like I will never be comletely penniless in a crunch!

But now for the main point. This blog has intesified these quirks, or perhaps just the stress of them. In saying I am disorganized, I mean I do things differently. If we have ever talked you will know, I am a story teller. I will use snapshots, experiences, stories I have heard -- anything to convey the point. It's just how I communicate. But what this also means, is there has to be a story worth telling. I have not written in a while becasue of the stress of it, the pressure to record each thing as it happens, chronologically - so I will not forget. And then there are the things I have to have something to say about, because how could I not? Like seeing some of the most impressive waterfalls in the world, or "backpacking patagonia"...well, I've decided that's just not how my mind works, at least not for now - I think I'm going to try writing about the things that impress ME the most. And who knows, maybe it will be the next cool exotic place or it might be about the funny old man at the kiosko.

My point is this: The quirks, oddities, and problems with myself, with the people here and the food, the country....is their personality. The more I have traveled around here, I am getting that the cool part is not the relocation, it is seeing the repetition. That people everywhere are good, and that everyone and everything, despite their quirks seems to be looking for the same thing. I love getting to experience the things I have, but I also don't want to lose sight of how much I enjoy and learn from simply being around differnt people in a different place.

Just some thoughts. But in keeping with the chronological a bit here are a few things I've done recently that might get some elaboration soon:
  • Misiones (Jesuit ruins), Iguazu National Park, and visiting the Guarani Indians...excursion with CEA and a really amazing weeking in a different part of the country
  • Bariloche and El Bolson: My favorite places in Argentina so far - amazing Andes mountains, hippie/ski city...best hostel in El Bolson with very cool people...known for their homeade chocolate, beer, and one of the most visited areas in Patagonia

It's been more than a month now, and I'm still enjoying the ride. Up's and downs, slower days and ones I will never forget. Can't wait to see what the rest of this trip will bring!

No comments: